Longtime client Charlene recently came in to Studio 86 to get some cute crochet braids.
Crochet braids are so hot right now! The truth is, they’ve been around for a while (you may have heard people call them latch hook braids), but they’ve enjoyed a resurgence in popularity in recent years. Their name might seem deceiving because they don’t look like braids when they’re done. Well, technically you can crochet some braid extensions into your hair, but essentially crochet braids are a type of hair extension.
What Are Crochet Braids Exactly?
Crochet braids involve cornrowing your natural hair, then using a crochet hook to attach strands of hair extensions to your natural hair. It’s an alternative to sewing tracks into your hair, which is a common practice for hair weaves and extensions. Crochet braids could be considered a weave that just uses a different method for attaching the extensions to your natural hair.
Here’s a demonstration of how crochet braids are installed:
Why Get Crochet Braids?
Crochet braids are popular for many reasons. Here are a few:
- You can try a totally different hairstyle and length without changing your natural hair
- They’re a protective hairstyle that gives your natural hair a break
- Because the extensions you choose will have their own distinctive style, your crochet braids probably won’t require much styling to look great
- It’s easier to wash your hair and treat your scalp with crochet braids installed as opposed to sewn-in tracks
- There are so many different styles to choose from!
Need inspiration? Black Girl with Long Hair has an excellent article on 5 Ways To Rock the HOT Crochet Braid Trend including video tutorials covering a wide range of hair textures and styles.
Interested in trying some crochet braids? If you’re in the Toronto area, we’ve got crochet braid experts on staff here at Studio 86 who can help you get the perfect look for you. Book your appointment today!